Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Doin it like a local


Sooo wanted to steal him from the dog cafe!! 

 Check out my restaurant above my head...

 NOLA or Seoul?!?!?!

Clearly I'm a pro at this Norebang-ging stuff!!!


Today was my first day teaching my own kinder class, they’re around 5 years old, 6 in Korea because you are 1 when you are born…confusing!!!  So far I only have 4 girls; there is Jenny, she's super smart and already speaks English pretty well, Amy, she's very quiet, but also knows a good amount of English, Seri, pronounced Sari and is a little behind the other two and Rose, who cried from the moment she stepped into the classroom and ended up leaving after less than an hour :(  My Korean co-teacher, Sarah, helped me with them a lot today guiding me in what exactly to do.  We began by introducing ourselves, going over the ABC's, numbers, read some books and did some singing-alongs (yippee).  Overall I had a pretty successful first “official” day!  It's very interesting teaching such young kids, I have to remember to speak slowly, which I am NOT good at, and need to keep reminding myself they don't understand most of what I'm saying!!!  We are hoping to get more students come September, but we shall see!  My afternoon class, which is like 2nd grade and I started teaching last week, is pretty good, but are having difficulty focusing, so I need to do some serious crackdown on stars! That is the way they motivate the kids to do work at my school…3 stars equal a stamp or sticker and like 25 stickers/stamps equal a prize, think like a koosh ball or something!  It’s all about the little things in life I guess!

This weekend consisted of participating in various Korean traditions; the first was attending a bathhouse otherwise called a Ginga-bong.  It’s pretty much a place where you can sit in various temperature jacuzzis, saunas, as well as get a full body scrub, massage, get your hair washed, etc, etc.  Everyone is completely naked the entire time and most of the Koreans gave us some serious stare downs, which we happily ignored.  The scrub, which we all participated in, consisted of a large Korean woman in a bra and underwear scrubbing layers of our skin off, leaving you feeling like a babies butt…it was pretty amazing and quite the hangover cure!  We decided it would become our monthly pampering ritual from here on out!!! 

Despite the constant rain, this is apparently the worst rainy season in forever, we did some sightseeing as well this weekend.  We explored a few different areas that have some serious shopping, that’s what Koreans seem to do best, besides boozing!  We went to a dog café where you pay $8 get a free non-alcoholic drink, I’m pretty sure we paid 8 bucks for a Peach Snapple, and hang out with random dogs.  I fell in love with a Randy look alike, except he was a black lab pup, hence his smaller size.  They have cat cafes as well; the one we found was like $15 although they provided you with toys to play with the cats…fun, fun! 

I also participated in the Korean tradition of Norebang-ing (pronounced noribong-ing), which is karaoke…my FAVORITE!!!  It was insanely cheap, like 30 bucks total for a private room for like 10ish people and you can pretty much BYOB!  We belted out some tunes for about an hour or two and then continued our night out, such a fabulous way to begin an evening if you ask me!

That’s all for now, time for me to get into my new LARGE bed…apparently all you have to do is ask and you shall receive!!!!  So for all you soon to be visitors, there is officially plenty of room for you to crash with me!!! :)

Lots of love!!!!

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment